Lorrie R. Semler, ISA, CAPP
Following is Lorrie Semler’s professional profile as a personal property appraiser and estate sale manager.
Appraisal Organizations & Activities:
International Society of Appraisers, Associate Member (12/92 – 3/93)
International Society of Appraisers, Accredited Member (ISA, 3/93 – 1/97)
International Society of Appraisers, Certified Member (CAPP, 1/97 – 10/07 & 1/12 – Present)
- Chair, Electronic Information Services Committee (12/94 – 7/97)
- Member, Membership Committee (3/95 – 5/96)
- Nominating Committee: Vice Chair (5/98 – 3/00), Chair (3/00 – 4/02)
- Distance Education Instructor (5/99 – 9/07)
- Onsite Core Course Instructor (2/04 – 9/07)
- Vice Chair, Designation & Review (3/00 – 4/02)
- Chair, Designation & Review (5/14 – 4/17)
North Texas Chapter, International Society of Appraisers, Member (2/93 – 12/03 & 2013 – 2017)
- Treasurer, 1994 – 1995
- Secretary, 1996
American Society of Appraisers, Accredited Member (4/98 – 7/04)
Appraisers Association of America, Certified Member (2005 – 2012)
ISA/CAPP Core Courses:
- 101—Ethical conduct and procedures; communications and business practices
- 102—Terminology; identification and authentication procedures; market and price research methodology; preliminary and limited appraisal report writing
- 103—Narrative report writing and the principles of appraising for Federal Tax Functions and the legal aspects of appraising
ISA Core Course in Distance Education
ISA Specialty Courses:
- 201—Appraisal of Residential Contents
- 301—Expert Witness
- Appraisal Report Writing Seminar
- Certified Appraiser of Personal Property Review Course
- Advance Appraisal Writing
- ISA Requalification (multiple times)
National Appraisal Consultants Courses:
- Understanding USPAP, A Personal Property Perspective
- Turbo-charging Your Appraisal Practice
American Society of Appraisers Courses:
- Principals of Appraisal Practice and Code of Ethics
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice
- PP213—Principles of Valuation
- ALL300—Appraisal Review
- ALL301—Asset Differences between Disciplines
Texas Auction Academy: 1999 Graduate
Auction Marketing Institute: Certified Estate Specialist
- 15 hour course: 2007, 2012
- 7 hour course: 2014, 2016, 2018
North Texas International Society of Appraisers Sponsored Course:
- Silver Identification: 2003
- Ivory Identification: 2003
- Wood Identification: 2004
- Asian Art: 2005
Appraiser Association of America: New Legal Liabilities Issues in Appraising, 2000
1992 – Present
Sole Proprietor, Semler Appraisals & Estate Liquidations
Appraise residential contents, including: antiques, decorative art, and collectibles in the Dallas and North Texas area. Manage and conduct estate sales and moving sales.
1989 – Present
Sole Proprietor, Yankee Peddler Antiques
Negotiate the purchase and sale of valuable antiques; research items to determine value; merchandise and display antiques; maintain the financial accounts.
Manager, Knox Street Antique Mall
Established policies and procedures for a startup antique mall; leased booths; selected security systems, computer programs, check verification services; hired and managed sales staff; ran the day-to-day operations of the mall.
1983 – 1992
Technical Instructor, Ericsson Network Systems, Northern Telecom, Inc., and ARC Automation Services
Researched and analyzed complex technical telecommunications products to develop course materials; presented courses to technicians and non-technicians; led teams of instructors; implemented new training techniques; organized and set up a self-paced learning center.
1979 – 1982
Graduate Assistant, Texas Woman’s University
Conducted extensive research and analysis projects, including library research as well as physiological testing of humans; one project resulted in 110 page report and an abstract published in Dissertation Abstracts International.
1975 – 1979
Instructor/Teacher, College of Great Falls, MT and Summit High School, NJ
PhD, Texas Woman’s University, Denton, Texas: December, 1986
MA, Montclair State College, Montclair, New Jersey: January, 1977
BS, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland: December, 1973
- Articles for Antique Prime Magazine and Journal, published by Antique Prime Publications, P.O. Box 142964, Irving, TX 75014-2964.
- Articles for The Antique Times, published by Antique Times Magazine, Box 326, St. Louis, MO 63132-3002.
- Articles for the online newsletter AuctionBytes, published by Steiner & Associates, PO Box 668, Natick, MA 01760.
- Articles for Auction World and The Auctioneer, published by the National Auctioneer’s Association, 8880 Ballentine, Overland Park, KS.
Course Development and Taught:
Appraising for Damage and Loss Claims in the Moving & Storage Industry
Distinguished Service Award, International Society of Appraisers, 1998, 2014-2015
Marketing Award, International Society of Appraisers, 1999
Expert Witness Testimony:
Federal Court, Dallas County, TX 2003
Federal Bankruptcy Court, Houston TX 2010
State Civil Court – Judge Raggio 2012